Joyful Jet Day gives students a chance to celebrate and thank donors

Joyful Jet Day

Every year, Newman University recognizes Joyful Jet Day, a day in which students celebrate the kindness of donors who give their support to the university.

Tuition only covers about 90 percent of what it costs to educate students at Newman for one full academic year. The other 10 percent is funded by the generous donors — alumni, parents, faculty, staff, students, and other friends in the community — who generously give to the university.

Joyful Jet Day is a day in which students are reminded of this generosity and support, and also have the opportunity to say "Thanks" to all those who support Newman.

Maureen Hogan

Maureen Hogan holds her Joyful Jet Day sign.

Newman senior Maureen Hogan said she appreciates that Joyful Jet Day highlights the importance of alumni and donors in relation to the success of the university.

Hogan said, "Personally, when I first heard about 'tuition stop day' — what we now call Joyful Jet Day — and realized that we legitimately couldn't function for the rest of the year without our donors, it made me appreciate my scholarships and service a lot more. I hope that's the kind of awareness we bring to the rest of the student body as well."

This year, students were able to sign more than 200 postcards, which will be mailed to donors, filled with personal messages of gratitude. Some of the praises included:

  • "Thank you so much for making my education possible."
  • "Thank you for helping to improve our school and our lives."
  • "Thank you for fueling my aspiration to foster my uniqueness as an individual."
  • "My education at Newman has opened my eyes to new possibilities of ways I'm improving the lives of others."
  • "Thank you. As a non-traditional student transitioning to a career in healthcare, this could not have been possible without your generosity."

Students also enjoyed taking photos and selfies at two photo booths set up in the Student Center and Eck Hall, where they could also refuel with a snack and drink provided by the Newman Alumni Relations Department.

Scholarship recipients had the chance to connect with donors at the annual Scholarship Luncheon and continue their conversations at a Meet and Greet event in the Tarcisia Roths, ASC Alumni Center directly after. All enjoyed a performance by the Newman University Sloppy Joes Improv Troupe during the Meet and Greet.

(Visited 57 times, 1 visits today)

About the author

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload the CAPTCHA.