Newman University Athletics hosted its 36th annual Laurie Bell Memorial Charity Golf Tournament on Aug. 3.
Planning for the Jet Open this year proved to be challenging, as does planning for any large event in 2020, but Associate Athletic Director for External Operations Zane Ehling said the planning committee was prepared for COVID-19 interference.
The traditional kickoff party and silent auction were moved to an online format but were still successful.
“The online auction we had was engaging to people who normally aren’t at our in-person auction,” said Ehling. “I think we will look at doing more online in the future. Weather also made the event successful. We had a perfect day for golf and being outside.”
Director of Athletics Joanna Pryor said she enjoyed having the auction online. “It was great seeing supporters get involved from afar.”
The day is centered around supporting athletics and Ehling’s favorite part is seeing the turnout.
“My favorite part of the Jet Open is seeing all these people being very gracious by supporting our student-athletes. It is a big part of our fundraising and just really good to see all the people who support us.”
The golf tournament was held at Rolling Hills Country Club with 150 golfers participating.
The event raised more than $70,000, surpassing their goal. The funds are used in the Newman University athletics department to provide scholarships for athletes, facility upgrades, uniforms and other needs.
“It was a wonderful day for Newman Athletics,” said Pryor. “The weather was beautiful and everyone had a great time.”
Jet Open Results
- 1st place – Paul Cleland, Craig Howell, Cam Clark, Darin Spence
- 2nd place – Jason Wolfe, Brently Brown, Nolan Williams, Stan Bogdan
- 3rd place – Tom Welk, Ed Herzog, Alex Fox, Sherman Orr
- 1st place – Cyle Barnwell, Eddie Fahnestock, Paul Cleland, Mike Ludlow
- 2nd place – Mike Pelfrey, Brandon Hall, Mike Sirianni, Zane Ehling
- 3rd place – Martin Park, Natasha Park, Vanessa Sawyer, Kenni Henson
- 1st place – Mike Light, Billy Murphy, Tim Phares, Kelly Bonta
- 2nd place – Channing Williams, Nick Griffin, Easton Herring, Collin Loutensock
- 3rd place – Jeremy Kohlmeier, Nick Dondlinger, Bruce Gilkeson, Tom Dondlinger
- 1st place – Jared Simpson, Matt Cortez, Josh Vogel, Jeff Weiford
- 2nd place – Darrin Rasmussen, Scott Mudloff, Father John Fogliasso, Josh Schepis
- 3rd place – Mark Bell, Brock Bell, Mike Bell, Marty Cornejo
- Women’s longest drive – Kenni Henson
- Men’s longest drive – Brandon Hall
- Closest to the pin – Bruce Gilkeson
- Longest putt – Roger Schofield
The Jet Open planning committee members:
- Cyle Barnwell
- Dr. Paul Cleland ’07
- Krystal Crumley ’05
- Mike Eck ’03
- Pat Edwards ’07
- Associate Athletic Director for External Operations Zane Ehling ’07, ’12
- Mike King
- Gordon Long
- Sports Information Director Collin Loutensock ’18
- Mike Ludlow ’08
- David Nelson ’08
- Director of Athletics Joanna Pryor ’14
- Associate Athletic Director Mo Rohleder ’82, ’13
- Mike Taylor
- Head Golf Coach Taryn Torgerson