Ten local individuals and businesses will be honored for their service to the community at the “Difference Makers for Wichita” awards banquet to be held Feb. 24 in the Dugan-Gorges Conference Center on the Newman University campus.
The Difference Makers for Wichita awards program was launched in 2016 to celebrate the contributions and positive influences of individuals and organizations that have made a significant difference in the Wichita community. Cook’s Heating and Cooling, Newman University and The Wichita Eagle/Kansas.com are sponsors of the 2018 Difference Makers event. Individual awards are sponsored by local businesses as noted below.
The following awards will be presented at the banquet:
- The Murdock Award for Business, presented by the Wichita Eagle — Aero Plains Brewing
- The Russ Meyer Award for Community Leadership, presented by Donovan Truck and Auto — Kevin Mullen
- The Ivonne Goldstein Award for Community Volunteer — Don Barry
- The Tarcisia Roths, ASC, Award for Not-For-Profit — Medical Loan Closet
- The Brian Bergkamp Student Service Award — Hailey Colborn
The awards banquet also recognizes five “Everyday Heroes,” presented by Envision. The recipients are individuals who do not seek recognition but rather are inspired by an unwavering commitment to the day-to-day service of others to make a positive difference.
The recipients include Janelle McGee, Michael Pasco, Bob Lutz, Larry Hanafin and Ms. Jean Pouncil-Burton.
In addition to the Difference Makers Awards, Newman University alumnus Archie Macias will be awarded the Cardinal Newman Medal, the university’s highest honor.