February is a special time for Newman University and its community as they celebrate the university’s rich heritage, namesake and founders during its traditional Heritage Month.
It is also the month that the university’s namesake, a 19th-century theologian and scholar known for his writings on the liberal arts and education, St. John Henry Newman, was born.
The university’s humble beginnings took place in 1933 when the Wichita Adorers of the Blood of Christ founded Sacred Heart Junior College to train sisters in education and educate laywomen in teacher education, nursing, secretarial science and home economics.
Throughout the years, the university has seen many transformations, including becoming an accredited university, construction of state-of-the-art buildings and two name changes. The first of those name changes, Kansas Newman College, which happened in 1973, honored St. John Henry Newman and his ideas of education.
As the university continued to grow in campus facilities, enrollment, academic programs and student services, it was given its current name, Newman University, in 1998.
Heritage Month events begin Feb. 1 and last until the end of the month. From scavenger hunts to celebrating Mass to supporting athletics, there are a variety of ways to honor and commemorate Newman University’s Catholic heritage and to become more entwined with the Newman school spirit.
Heritage Month calendar of activities:
Monday, Feb. 1
- Cyber Medallion Hunt for students and alumni: Clue #1 via email
- St. Brigid’s Feast Day: 3-5 p.m. in the Dugan-Gorges Conference Center (reserved for staff and faculty only)
Tuesday, Feb. 2
- Cyber Medallion Hunt for students and alumni: Clue #2 via email
- Softball: Jets vs. East Central — 2 and 4 p.m., softball field
Wednesday, Feb. 3
- Cyber Medallion Hunt for students and alumni: Clue #3 via email
Thursday, Feb. 4
- Cyber Medallion Hunt for students and alumni: Clue #4 via email
- Mass: Feast of St. Maria De Mattias — 12:05 p.m., St. John’s Chapel
Friday, Feb. 5
- Cyber Medallion Hunt for students and alumni: Final clue via email
- Wrestling: Jets vs. Nebraska Kearney — 7 p.m., Fugate Gymnasium
Sunday, Feb. 7
- Campus Ministry and ASC Spiritual Companion Program — sign-ups begin for spiritual companionship sessions with an ASC sister. Sessions will take place throughout Lent, Feb. 17-April 3. Contact Emily Simon in Campus Ministry at (316) 942-4291, ext. 2422 for more information or to sign up.
Monday, Feb. 8
- Contest: “Meeting Newman Saints” begins, details sent via student email (reserved for students) — prizes awarded at month-end
Thursday, Feb. 11
- Pinot’s Palette Virtual Alumni Painting Class (reserved for Newman alumni) — 7 p.m., fee for supplies is $40, sign-up sent via email
- Men’s soccer: Jets vs. McPherson College — 2 p.m., soccer field
- Men’s basketball: Jets vs. Lincoln — 6 p.m., Fugate Gymnasium
Wednesday, Feb. 17
- Mass: Ash Wednesday — 12:05 p.m., St. John’s Chapel
- Softball: Jets vs. Northwestern Oklahoma — 2 and 4 p.m., softball field
Thursday, Feb. 18
- Homecoming basketball games vs. Northeastern Oklahoma
- Women — 5:30 p.m., Fugate Gymnasium
- Men — 7:30 p.m., Fugate Gymnasium
- Homecoming royalty crowning ceremony takes place during halftime of men’s game
Saturday, Feb. 20
- Basketball: Jets vs. Rogers State and “Seniors’ Day” for women
- Women — 1:30 p.m., Fugate Gymnasium
- Men — 3:30 p.m., Fugate Gymnasium
- Baseball: Jets vs. Wayne State — noon and 2 p.m., baseball field
- Men’s soccer: Jets vs. Rogers State — 3 p.m., soccer field
St. John Henry Newman Week
Monday, Feb. 22
- Mass: St. John Henry Newman Mass — 12:05 p.m., St. John’s Chapel
Tuesday, Feb. 23
- St. John Henry Newman High Tea has been canceled and will return in 2022
- Watch for a special video highlighting the history of High Tea on Newman University’s official social media accounts.
Thursday, Feb. 25
- Newman Giving Day — make a gift!
- Softball: Jets vs. Friends University — 2 and 4 p.m., softball field
Friday, Feb. 26
- MIAA Crossover Volleyball Tournament — All day, Fugate Gymnasium
- Baseball: Jets vs. Central Oklahoma — 2 p.m., baseball field
Saturday, Feb. 27
- Baseball: Jets vs. Central Oklahoma — noon and 2 p.m., baseball field
- Men’s and women’s tennis: Jets vs. Tabor College — 3 p.m. Wichita, Kansas
Sunday, Feb. 28
- “Meeting Newman Saints” contest concludes — prizes awarded