For decades, Newman University has set aside a week to honor the life, lessons and ideals of John Henry Cardinal Newman, the university's namesake. This year, the week will have even more meaning, as it will be the first year the university celebrates Newman since he was declared "Blessed" last September by Pope Benedict XVI.
Among the many popular events scheduled for the week are the Cardinal Newman Guest Lecture, the traditional High Tea, and the awarding of the annual Alumni Awards and the Cardinal Newman Medal. The complete list of events and locations is as follows:
Sunday, Feb. 20
- 7 p.m. - Sunday Mass, St. John's Chapel
- 8 p.m. - Campus Ministry Social, Heritage Room
Monday, Feb. 21
- Noon - Cardinal Birthday Celebration, Mabee Dining Center
Tuesday, Feb. 22
- 11 a.m. - Cardinal Newman Mass, St. John's Chapel
- 7 p.m. - Cardinal Newman Guest Lecture - Edward Jeremy Miller, Ph.D., S.T.D. of Gwynedd-Mercy College, Dugan-Gorges Conference Center
Wednesday, Feb. 23
- 2-4 p.m. - High Tea, Gorges Atrium
- 5:30-7:30 p.m. - Evening Tea, Eck Hall
Thursday, Feb. 24
- Noon - Cardinal Newman Speaker - Michael Austin, Ph.D. of Newman University, Tarcisia Roths, ASC Alumni Center
Friday, Feb. 25
- 7 p.m. - Alumni Association Annual Meeting and Alumni Awards Reception, Tarcisia Roths, ASC Alumni Center
Saturday, Feb. 26
- 5 p.m. - Sunday Vigil Mass, St. John's Chapel
- 6 p.m. - Cardinal Newman and Alumni Awards Reception, Dugan-Gorges Conference Center
- 7 p.m. - Cardinal Newman and Alumni Awards Banquet, Dugan-Gorges Conference Center (Reservations required)
This year's recipient of the Cardinal Newman Medal is former Chairman of the Board of Trustees John Marstall, CPA. Marstall will be cited for his long service to Newman, higher education and to the Catholic community of Wichita.
For more details on the events and to reserve tickets to the Cardinal Newman and Alumni Awards Banquet visit http://cardinalnewman.eventbrite.com.