Newman University students, faculty, staff and friends join in a full day of activities Sept. 12, 2013 to celebrate the 80th Anniversary of the founding of the institution. Among the highlights are a medallion “cyberhunt,” the unveiling of a historic tree slab, gatherings with the Adorers of the Blood of Christ and a trivia contest.
“We have planned a day full of fun with something for everyone,” said Director of Mission and Archives Charlotte Rohrbach, ASC. “We hope everyone can get away from their desks for at least an hour or two to partake in the festivities.”
The university was founded by the Adorers Sept. 12, 1933 as Sacred Heart Junior College. The fledgling institution survived the Great Depression, and later became Sacred Heart College, then Kansas Newman College, and finally today’s Newman University. The 80th Anniversary activities are designed to pay tribute to the Adorers and the rich heritage of the institution.
The day’s complete Schedule of Events is as follows:
- Cyberhunt for 80th Anniversary Medallion begins
- Special Bookstore Sale begins
- Scooter’s 80th Anniversary Special begins
10 a.m. — 2 p.m.
- Student Activities: book and banner signing; special anniversary reception
- Unveiling and dedication of Historic Cedar Tree Slab in Heritage Room of Sacred Heart Hall.
- Daily Mass
- Vintage edition of The Vantage is released
- Gathering of NU employees with ASCs at the Wichita Center Chapel
- Special prayer service
4 — 4:50 p.m.
- Wine, Cheese, Fruit Reception in ASCs Dining Room (NU employees, ASCs, and Wichita Center employees will be our guests)
- NU Trivia Contest hosted by the Adorers at THE LANDING, 3228 McCormick, directly east of New Hall.
- Students in teams of 2 compete for prizes
Watch for Facebook postings, tweets and anniversary updates on the Newman web site, www.newmanu.edu, throughout the day.