Newman University has received a $250,000 gift from The Goebel Family Star Lumber Charitable Foundation to support the university’s science and health care profession educational programs.
“The Goebel family and Star Lumber have a long history of support for Newman University, and this latest generous gift will have major impact for our students,” said Newman President Noreen M. Carrocci, Ph.D.
“Star Lumber is such a great community-minded company that we feel very blessed they continue to show such amazing support for Newman and our mission,” Vice President for University Advancement J.V. Johnston said, “We look forward to continuing our partnership for years to come.”
The $250,000 gift is part of the foundation’s ongoing commitment to Wichita and its outstanding educational institutions.
The Goebel Family Star Lumber Charitable Foundation operates with the philosophy of giving back to its community by using 8 percent of pre-tax operating profits from Star Lumber & Supply to serve its community.
Newman University and the Goebel family’s foundation have enjoyed a strong partnership – one that has thrived and grown throughout the years.
The affiliation goes back more than a half century. The first major gift was to help build Ryan Library, which was completed in 1971 on the campus of what was then Sacred Heart College. Since 2001, the foundation has provided annual scholarships and student support. Star Lumber and Supply Inc. was also inducted into the Newman Sports Hall of Fame in 2008 for its longstanding support of Newman University athletics.
“For over 75 years, the Goebel family has been active in the Wichita area and is committed to higher education and the benefit it has on the community,” said Foundation Board Member Bob Goebel. “We are honored to support Newman University’s health sciences with this gift and cherish the close ties we have with this wonderful institution.”
Watch video highlights of the check presentation and comments by Goebel and Newman Dean of the College of Undergraduate Studies and Professor of Chemistry David Shubert, Ph.D., below.
University Newman Science, Nursing and Allied Health Programs Quick Facts:
- Newman University offers science, nursing and allied health programs in: biology; chemistry/physics; forensic science; healthcare science; mathematics; nursing; nurse anesthesia; occupational therapy assistant; radiologic technology; respiratory care, sonography; sports medicine, and pre-dentistry, pre-engineering, pre-medicine, pre-occupational therapy, pre-optometry, pre-pharmacy, pre-physical therapy and pre-veterinary science.
- 95 percent of Newman University pre-med graduates, who applied, have been accepted into medical schools for the past 15 years.
- 100 percent of Newman students who applied for medical school admission were accepted in 2014.
- Newman is the only nursing program in Kansas (out of 37) to have a 90 percent + pass rate on the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX) over the past four years.
- 100 percent of Newman University occupational therapy assistant students passed the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT) licensing test in 2014.
- Newman University is on the list of 2015 STEM Jobs Approved Colleges for its programs in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM)
Newman University is a Catholic university named for John Henry Cardinal Newman and founded by the Adorers of the Blood of Christ for the purpose of empowering graduates to transform society. Newman meets the needs of traditional freshmen, returning adults, and graduate students through more than 40 undergraduate and graduate programs.
For more information about Newman University go to www.newmanu.edu.
STAR LUMBER & SUPPLY CO., family owned and operated, has been serving Kansas for more than 75 years. It specializes in building materials, home projects and flooring. The company operates in Kansas and Oklahoma with more than 300 employees. For more information, visit starlumber.com.