Newman University will present “Party on the Plaza – Oktoberfest 2013” as this year’s annual fundraising and social event from 4:30 to 9 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 21 on Founders Plaza, just south of the De Mattias Fine Arts Center on the Newman campus. The event is modeled on a German festival. All proceeds will benefit student scholarships at Newman University.
Among the many activities will be a ceremonial tapping of the keg by Wichita Mayor Carl Brewer and Newman President Noreen M. Carrocci, Ph.D., authentic German food and drink, and a live and silent auction featuring such items as:
• Getaway packages to San Diego, Boston, and Phoenix
• Christmas on the Plaza (Kansas City)
• Handcrafted rocking horse by Tom Welk, CPPS
• Icon by Erin Konecny
• Wichita Christmas Lights Tour with River City Trolley
• Birthday party options with the Clydesdales, the “Bug Lady” and Wichita Gymnastics Club
• Paintings by Newman Alumna Rosemary Kramer, C’62 and local artist Michael Potts
• Kentucky Bourbon gift basket
• Certificates for hotel “mini-vacations” and local restaurants
• Book or birthday party with Newbery Medal Winning Author Clare Vanderpool
New Golden Ticket Program
A new event this year will be the Golden Ticket. Participants may make a donation toward a $100 Golden Ticket. Only 100 tickets will be available. One lucky winner will be announced at the start of the Live Auction. The person whose ticket is selected will have a choice of ANY one of the live auction packages and must select their auction item at that time.
Those interested in taking part may donate while making their reservation, or the night of the event. All proceeds will benefit student scholarships.
Schedule of Events
Sunday Vigil Mass in St. John’s Chapel on the Newman campus (for those who wish to participate)
Beer Garden open
Drinks and appetizers
Silent auction opens
Tapping of the keg by Mayor Brewer and President Carrocci
Dinner buffet open
Live auction by auctioneer Charlie Moon
Tickets and Reservations
Dinner reservations are required. Tickets are $100 per person, $65 of which is tax-deductible. Tables of eight are available for $700, $420 of which is tax-deductible.